Sunday 24 January 2016

Five for Friday x 2

Hi Everyone!! Last Friday night I didn't have a chance to post so I am taking items from the past two weeks to make up my five for Friday... I figure it is the best way to capture all the great things from last week as well! So here we go...


http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.ca/

Okay! I will admit, although I love science and doing it with the kids, I totally lack imagination when it comes to planning a unit. We were scheduled to start Materials and their Properties after Christmas and I just couldn't choose what to do since it is my first time teaching this grade. So, eventually I found the most amazing unit on TpT from Secondgradealicious. I have been following it pretty closely as it meets our outcomes perfectly and best of all, my students couldn't wait to get started. Here we have some pictures of the stations that they had to run through. I just love it when a lesson goes just as planned!



A teacher at my school showed me these super cool magnetic ten frames that she found online from Really Good Stuff. Well, with the Canadian dollar as bad as it is, and the shipping as expensive as it was, I searched high and dry for it online. Luckily, Scholar's Choice had it right here in Halifax. I cannot tell you how much this has changed my life! The kids actually understand adding and subtracting when I use these! It blows my mind but they love it so much and get so excited when I pull the ten frames out! Happy little learners!!


On Saturday we had a crazy snow storm! It started in the morning and went strong and steady until about ten o'clock at night! I couldn't get over how beautiful it was. Oh and yes, it may have been on a weekend, so no snow day for us, BUT who doesn't love a good day when you are forced to stay home and you can do whatever you want! It was a gem and I was able to finish all my housework and then have lots of time to relax to boot! Couldn't ask for a better start to my weekend!


A good friend of ours was able to get us tickets to go see the Canada vs. USA team for the World Sledge Hockey Tournament that my hometown is hosting. Although neither Tony or I are huge into sports, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We went with a group of our close friends and have to say it was such an entertaining sport. I knew nothing about it and loved to watch the guys skate around. Oh... and CANADA WON in a shoot out!! :) This weekend are the finals so fingers crossed that luck keeps going their way!



Over the past two weeks my students worked so hard to create beautiful 3-D snowmen. I found this idea on Pinterest last year and did it with the primaries that I was teaching. It took several days because of all the steps but my grade ones totally stepped up and did a fantastic job! Wahoo for wonderful art lessons!


Since I chose items over the past two weeks, I have to say it was hard to narrow it down to 5 items. I love this challenge every week because it reminds me to be mindful and to be thankful of all the little, great things that go on throughout our lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! I thought all Canadians loved hockey! It's funny how easy it is to generalize! I'm glad you found the product you were looking for close to home. My son and some friends just went to Montreal and had a tremendous time. Canada is a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is a live sport, I always love a good hockey game. I generalize too :) I think we naturally do it. I am still going to be ordering something from Really Good Stuff but it will be going to my aunt's house in Arizona and my grandmother will bring it home in April. I am going to Montreal for March Break this year and I am so excited! I have never been before!! :) Glad to hear your son had a wonderful time!!

      Delete